Work all day and some more all night. Sound familiar? Truth is, we’ve been there and it all has an effect on our beauty/skincare regime. But you know what, the struggle doesn’t have to be real. To all my beauty lovers out there, I’m no beauty buff or skincare oracle, but I will say over the years I’ve realized a few beauty secrets of my own from some brutal experiences, refreshing conversations and honest opinions.
My 5 major beauty secrets:
1. I have a natural remedy that’ll revive your skin in minutes! It’s already in the freezer. I rub two ice cubes on my face every morning. I got the idea from a NYC native (well into his late 60s). After noticing his incredible skin, I asked what products he uses and he simply said, “I don’t. I just rub two ice cubes on my face every morning. It’s what the Hollywood stars did back in the day and it works every time.” Since then, I apply two ice cubes around my face and neck for about 5 minutes for the best firming effect. This secret ice-trick boosts blood circulation, minimize pores and replenishes skin for a radiant look. It’s my all natural skincare elixir!
2. But first, lemon water and coffee? No kidding. Lemon water helps reset your liver after sleeping 8 hours. Coffee packs a powerful punch of antioxidants. Between the two, you can kiss those puffy eyes, hormonal acne, premature aging and cellulite goodbye! I usually drink a glass of lemon water (half a lemon squeezed into 8 ounces of water) first thing in the morning. I wait 30 minutes then drink a cup of black coffee before blog shoots to depuff my face in the morning! Both are skin miracles!
3. What best defines your face and shapes the eyes? Eyebrows. And if you’re like me, you’ve tried it all. Although, I have thick eyebrows, I’d still find myself filling them everyday after years of tweezing and seeing the wrong specialists (who thought thin brows were better #smh). It was time I looked into a more permanent solution: microblading.
Eye see you! The Eyebrow Doctor to be exact. After learning about Piret aka The Eyebrow Doctor in top publications – I took the plunge, scheduled an appointment and (voila) my brow game’s back on point! Let me walk you through my process and thoughts.
– The Do’s. Going into it you must (I repeat) steer clear of Retin-A or Retinol creams, blood thinners and alcohol (to name a few) before the procedure. The Don’ts. Whatever you do, don’t rub or get your brows wet for the next 7-14 days. Makeup is unnecessary at this stage – let it breathe for 7 days at least. Stay committed to this girl and the results will be beautiful (and lasting!).
– Pain level? Honestly, it wasn’t as bad as I thought. Thanks to their topical numbing cream – I’d give it a 5 out of 10!
– Considering it? If you aren’t on any medication, have pre-existing skin conditions and/or planning a vacation soon (healing time) then, YAS go for it! Not only has it grown my brows out naturally, but it’s also improved the symmetry of my face! I don’t have to worry about them anymore and girl, that’s such a refreshing feeling.
4. Face masks. I use SK-ii face masks every week. I also love Dr. Jart face masks (and no, this is not sponsored). I’m obsessed with these! The key to using expensive face masks is to use them wisely. Since most have extra liquid, I’ll save the mask after first use, fold it and place back into the fridge. Use the same mask 3x. Just make sure your skin is clean (I like to apply the mask in bed right after a shower). I love how my skin looks super hydrated and moisturized afterwards!
5. Cosmetic procedures. If you’re thinking of preventative measures in your late 20s/early 30s this could be a good idea, but I can only share from my experience. Whether it’s leftover scarring from those acne years, dark spots or loose skin – laser treatments are safe, common and effective for all different skin types. Also, let’s drop the stigma of botox for a second. Although it’s a very real fear, it’s also a purified protein that temporarily relaxes muscle resulting in softening fine lines (lasting from 3 to 6 months). If you’re thinking about it, keep in mind that timing is everything here. I’d hold off on it until you absolutely have to because the earlier you start means you can become immune to future procedures. I never really put much thought to this until I turned 30, but reality is, you can go as natural as you want or don’t go for it at all. Like I said, it’s a personal choice and I support you either way! (For my West Palm Beach readers, I highly recommend Dr. Bonnie Marting.)
*BONUS: easy face massages. If you find yourself watching an episode on Netflix or listening to a podcast, go ahead and apply some circular and sweeping motion to your forehead, cheekbones, jaw, brow, gently tap your eyes and (don’t forget) neck! Do this for about 10 minutes and you’ll be impressed by the lift your skin gets.
P.S. Linking some (not all!) of my favorite products below! #notsponsored
Bag: (c/o) Silvia Tcherassi